Published: 18-09-2018 photo #13748 0 comments 1 votes
Photographed in the Skansen an open-air museumat Magnuszew, 48 km south of Warsaw, on 27 August 2018.
The museum commemmorates the battle of Studzianki and overlooks the site where Russian and Polish army units forced the Germans back from the Vistula River, in August 1944.
The battle was a complete failure for the Germans.
DUKW is a manufacturer’s code: D indicating the model year, 1942; U referring to the body style, utility (amphibious); K for all-wheel drive; and W for dual rear axles.
Called a “duck,” the vehicle was shaped like a boat.
It had a hollow airtight body for buoyancy and used a single propeller for forward momentum.
The design was based on the US Army’s 2.5-ton truck.
The vehicle was capable of carrying 25 soldiers and their equipment, an artillery piece, or 5,000 pounds (2,300 kg) of general cargo. At sea the vehicle could maintain a speed of 5 knots (about 6 statute miles, or 9 km per hour), and on land it could reach 50 mph (80 km/h).
The United States produced 20,000 DUKWs during World War II, many of which, including this one, found their way to Russia as aid material.
Later Russia produced its own equivalent.